• Serving US companies nationwide
  • Mon - Sun 8am - 6pm CT
  • (512) 503-3080

Looking for a First-Class R & D tax credit advisor?

Structural Engineering R&D Tax Credits

Structural engineers often resort to innovation to ensure that modern structures support the loads and resist forces like environmental stresses and usage-related issues. Their responsibilities include engineering and designing building foundations, HVAC, electrical, and piping systems, as well as building superstructures.

Since such activities involve R&D operations to solve complex technical problems, structural engineering companies qualify for state and federal R&D tax credits. That means your company might be eligible, too, if you conduct similar qualifying activities. Depending on the state, R&D tax credit in the Structural Engineering industry usually equals 22% of your total QREs.

Qualifying Costs and Activities

Every expense you make relating to the research, like third-party contractors, raw materials, and supplies, counts as a QRE. In addition, you can cover positions like surveyors, structural and environmental engineers, soil scientists, project managers, geologists, C-suite, and BIM engineers. As far as qualifying activities go, you can apply for the Structural Engineering R&D tax credit if you:

  • Create inventive supports for special structures;

  • Design distinctive energy-saving features;

  • Put measures in place to address water intrusion or other construction flaws;

  • Analyze performance and evaluate novel material combinations;

  • Improve surveying skills by utilizing modern technology (such as LiDAR, drones, and mobile 3D mapping);

  • Use cutting-edge non-destructive testing techniques to evaluate materials relevant to a project.

Don’t hesitate to contact our team if you need help calculating the Structural Engineering research and development tax credit. We can help you with the application process without upfront costs and provide you with a free estimate.



What kind of companies can apply?

Structural engineering companies that conduct qualifying research activities.

What data do I need to calculate credit?

Claim period gross receipts.

What information do I need to provide?

General ledger expense detail, payroll records, project notes, project lists, emails, purchase orders, and other documents regarding QREs for the claiming period.

Is credit carryforward an option?

Yes, up to twenty years.

request a call back.

Would you like to speak to one of our R&D tax credit advisors over the phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.